21 FAQ about Almond MilkOctober 2, 2012 • By dr_der_ico
People do not always have all of the facts about milk alternatives such as almond milk. The following will help clear up any questions that one may have about this tasty milk substitute.
1. Is almond milk good for you?
Yes, almond milk is good for the body when consumed as part of a healthy diet. Almonds are full of nutritious vitamins and minerals that the body needs.
2. How do you get milk from almonds?
Essentially, almond milk is made from grinding almonds and mixing it with water. Flavorings can be added for taste, but for the most part, almond milk is quite basic.
3. How much calcium does almond milk contain?
Almonds do not naturally contain calcium, and therefore almond milk must be fortified with this nutrient. Fortified almond milk contains virtually the same amount of calcium as regular dairy milk.
4. How much protein is in almond milk?
Almond milk only contains about 1 g of proteins per serving, while cow’s milk provides 8 g of this essential nutrient.
5. What does almond milk taste like?
Almond milk is said to have a nutty flavor. However many people claim that when vanilla is added it tastes more similar to cow’s milk.
6. How many carbs in a serving of almond milk?
Almond milk contains only 2 g of carbohydrates per serving.
7. Are there side effects to drinking almond milk?
There are no overt hazards to drinking almond milk; however, it is advised to obtain protein and other nutrients that the body needs from other sources.
8. Is almond milk gluten free?
Yes, plain almond milk is gluten free.
9. How many calories are there in a serving?
Almond milk contains about 30 to 40 calories per serving.
10. What is the almond milk glycemic index?
Almond milk is rated as having a medium glycemic index.
11. Is there cholesterol in almond milk?
Almond milk contains no cholesterol.
12. Can you warm up almond milk?
Almond milk is safe to heat and cook with.
13. Is it fattening?
Almond milk has a low fat content, about 3 g per serving.
14. Does almond milk contain lactose?
Almond milk is 100 percent lactose free.
15. What is the shelf life of almond milk?
Almond milk lasts quite a bit longer than dairy milk, usually about two months if kept refrigerated.
16. Can you cook with almond milk?
Almond milk is perfect for cooking and desserts!
17. Can almond milk be frozen?
Almond milk can be made into frozen desserts. However it is not recommended to freeze almond milk for storage.
18. Does almond milk contain estrogen?
No, almond milk contains no animal byproducts such as estrogen.
19. Is almond milk a dairy product?
Though it can be found in grocer’s dairy sections, almond milk is not technically dairy item.
20. Does almond milk contain soy?
No, almond milk does not contain soy.
21. What is the difference between sweetened and unsweetened almond milk?
Many people prefer the taste of flavors or sweeteners. It is the consumer’s option to pick the taste they prefer.